For as far as I remember, I’ve had an obsession with entrepreneurship. That obsession was exacerbated when I took the plunge into the field of technology more than 10+ years ago (wow am I really that old?). Since then, I’ve researched some of my favorite companies, studied some most of my favorite entrepreneurs, and more importantly attempted to learn firsthand when I tested the entrepreneurial waters myself. One of the most important lessons learned from this research, was that it all starts with the idea. Before you can determine your market, do a SWOT analysis, or figure out what technologies you need to scale your product, you must first have a solid idea.
Anyone who knows me, knows that when it comes to ideas, I don’t have a quantity problem. In fact, for the past 5 years I’ve been writing most of my ideas down in a Moleskine journal that I so creatively named the “idea book”. That’s right nearly 50+ pages/sketches of ideas, collecting dust in my nightstand drawer. The main reason these ideas have been laying dormant for the past 5 years is that I’ve been having trouble determining which ideas are good enough to work on. So last night while eating dinner, I had an epiphany. Why not blog about each idea, including explicit details, target market, possible site names, etc… circulate them around my social networks, and have an open dialog to help determine which idea have legs, and which aren’t worth the effort (maybe I can even get a co-founder or investor out of one of these post).
So over the next few months (or years if it take that long) I will be dedicating a post to each of my ideas. If you think its dope tell me, if you think it’s dopey, tell me (don’t worry, I have thick skin.). Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
The way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas, and throw the bad ones away. -Dr. Linus Pauling
SpriteMapper merges multiple images into one and generates CSS positioning for the corresponding slices.
Only 10% of a webpage’s loading time is due to the actual page—the other 90% is spent downloading styles, scripts and images. By reducing the amount of images and better utilizing the connection, CSS spritemapping can reduce your website’s loading time.